Thursday, October 4, 2012

Exercising self-control



My older son has always been one to test his boundaries and push the limits.  He has always been a little too smart for MY own good (if not his own) and often has a way of manipulating me despite my efforts to not be taken in by his charms or scheming.  My son has also always much preferred unhealthy sugary snacks over good-for-you foods like fruits and vegetables.  Everyone at my house sort of feels the same, even Tim and I, so this month I have declared a break from sweets.  As I was contemplating the challenge of a month without desserts, I remembered a time from my older son’s toddler years……
 
It was in the evening, after dinner.  I was probably a little tired and worn down from the day.  My son had already been served dessert but, not surprisingly, he wanted more.  When he asked, I decisively answered, “no”.  

As is his way, he asked again.  As is my way, I tried to be firm and said, “no” again. 
He still wasn’t satisfied with that answer so I went on to explain the importance of moderation.  I should have known better than to engage in a debate of any sort with a toddler and especially with this particular toddler, nevertheless...…..   

“No more dessert.  We must exercise a little self-control,” I told my precocious little boy.  His eyes lit up in understanding and without a word he promptly took off running excitedly around the house a few times. Then he came back to me smiling, “I exercised my self-control mommy, now can I have more dessert?”

Laughing, I gave in and gave him more sweets.  After all, he did exercise. 

1 comment:

  1. That's so cute, Kari, but logical, too! My children out-do me in logic all the time - and, like you, I can't resist softening my resolve when they're being so loveable.

    God bless, Kari:-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...