Friday, November 16, 2012

Book review- Stealing Jenny



            Growing up I loved to read so much, I was teased about it at school.   My middle school locker was stuffed with "Sweet Valley High", "Babysitter’s Club", and other meaningless fiction stories.  Whenever I finished my work early, or had a few minutes of down time between lessons, I would pull out my book and read, despite being taunting by the kids around me for having my nose in a book- again.

            Looking back, I wish I would have read a few books about the lives of saints.  But, at the time I knew no better.  The stories I spent so much time with back then certainly lacked any real substance, but they were sweet and innocent enough.  When I outgrew those old middle school stories and began to read more adult fiction selections, I turned to authors like V.C. Andrews and Stephen King.  These were interesting stories but were no longer the sweet and innocent stories of my youth.  They glorified worldly values and errant behaviors.

            As I grew in my faith, I began to see the error of my reading ways and sought out great fictional stories that would encourage me in my Catholic faith and entertain me at the same time.  Sadly, I was largely unsuccessful in my mission and have spent much of my adult life reading books intended for elementary school students because they provided me the joy of reading without offending me in their secularism.

            But, now, at the recommendation of my friend Sue, I have discovered a wonderful and talented Catholic author in Ellen Gable Hrkach!  After reading the summary of Hrkach latest novel, Stealing Jenny I could not wait to read it.   The summary sounded intriguing and interesting without being offensive in its portrayal of married life.  

Stealing Jenny lived up to its description brilliantly.  The story of Tom and Jenny, a young married couple anxiously awaiting the birth of their sixth child, was realistic and beautifully written.  It was, at the same time, an enthralling tale full of suspense.  

At first, Tom and Jenny’s life together seems perfect.  They are a loving Catholic couple and have been blessed with a family that is the picture of goodness.   As the story unfolds though, details are slowly revealed about both a sinister kidnapping plot involving Jenny and her unborn baby, and the twists and turns of the couple’s early relationship.  Hrkach expertly weaves together the details of the present day kidnapping and the past struggles Tom and Jenny faced as a teenage couple.  Both storylines kept me glued to my computer screen as I flew through my very first e-book ever. 

I was truly captivated by the book.  It was all that I have longed for as an avid reader- a story fraught with suspense and drama.  And all that I desire as a Catholic mother as well- a story about a family I could relate to and be inspired by.  Beautiful in every way!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Kari, for this wonderful review! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen,

      You are so welcome. I enjoyed the book so much the review was easy to write. I am now anxious to read your other books as well.

      Blessings, Kari

      Delete
  2. Kari,

    I am so glad you enjoyed Ellen's book. I love sharing my favourite authors. I never knew there were so many entertaining Catholic authors until I started blogging. I have discovered many good books through Ellen's blog. When you finish writing your own novel and have more time to spare, please consider reading Ellen's book In Name Only. It's my favourite of her books. Ellen is busy writing a sequel and I can't wait until it is finished!

    I hope your own novel is going well.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue-

      It is nearly impossible to find Catholic authors just browsing through the book store. Another great blessing of the internet and the blogging community! Thank you again for telling me about Ellen and her books. I am definitely going to read her other stories. It is nice to read books for adults again.

      My novel is continuing to challenge me, but I am still plugging away. How about you?

      God Bless, Kari

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this sounds so good! I too love to read. A girlfriend of mine did turn me on to some good Christian fiction, but I would love to read some work from Catholic authors. "Stealing Jenny" sounds great! I will have to check it out over this Thanksgiving Break!

    Blessings,
    Val

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...