Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Review: Come My Beloved: Inspiring Stories of Catholic Courtship




Come MyBeloved is a compilation of the “courtship” stories of 12 Catholic couples.  I always enjoy a good love story but this book is not just a love story- it is a dozen love stories!  The vignettes tell not just of the love between a man and a woman, but each one tells a tale of the love between a man, a woman, and God.  And the stories are all absolutely true.  The average romance novel cannot hold a candle to this book!  

I can’t express how much I enjoyed reading about the varied and unique ways that couples were brought together.  I loved that they each relied on God’s guidance to find not only a spouse, but a soul mate.  In its own way, each story reveals God’s creativeness, His unpredictability, and, of course, His loving plan.  Together the stories illustrate the importance of entrusting our relationships to God even before they begin.  

A vocation to marriage is not an easy path of flawless communication, perfect trust, and romantic candlelight dinners.  It takes work and commitment and faith in God to make a marriage what it should truly be- a self-giving, self-sacrificing relationship of love.  The stories in Come My Beloved speak to these truths as well as any theological thesis or philosophical discourse ever could.  And they’re a whole lot more fun to read! 

In a culture that does everything to discourage self-sacrifice and sacramental marriage, this book gives hope that God is still at work.  Come My Beloved entertained me and, even more, it inspired me to look at my own marriage anew and reminded me to appreciate the gift that the sacrament of marriage truly is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...