Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday morning distraction



We talk a lot of distractions at my house.  Home schooling five children is an experience FULL of distraction.  I am constantly reminding the kids to stay on track with their work and not let their attention be drawn away.  Nevertheless, some of my children handle distraction better than others (I will not mention any names- or even ages or birth orders). 

My three year old is probably our biggest distraction during school (and prayers).  She likes it that way, I think!  But this morning, she got a little taste of what it is like to be right in the middle of something important and then be torn away unexpectedly.   

It was time to fix her hair which is usually quite wild and unruly in the morning.  I called her back to my bathroom where I was waiting with two ponytail holders at the ready…..  I had to call several times and when eventually she did come, she was not happy.  “Mommy, I was playing party and you extracted me!” she told me visibly annoyed.

I am pretty sure she meant that I DIStracted her.  I don’t think she even knows the meaning of the word “extracted”.   But I guess, either way it works—after all, I did sort of “extract” her from her pretend party!

5 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love the "extraction"!!! There is something so endearing about hearing your kiddos try and use "big words" or vocabulary! I always use expressions full of vocabulary with my own kids and even when I was teaching preschool! I used to ask the two-year olds to "please clean up the manipulatives". They knew what I was referring to every time! My own 5-year old often plays on the companio...I think its the piano located in our computer room! LOL

    P.S. Thank you SOOOOOO much for your supportive comment this AM! You've given me that little sign that I should trudge forward with my posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val- Their cute little pronunciations will someday be a thing of the past- how blessed we are to enjoy it all while they are still little and just trying to figure things out.

      Thank you so much for standing up for families on your blog, and in your "real" life too, of course! :)

      God Bless!

      Delete
  2. Kari,

    What a special moment! Now you will remember it forever as you've recorded it here on your blog. Thank you for sharing.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue- It took me a while but I am pretty much on track with my writing every day. I am doing much better with recording the little day to day moments that will someday be special memories. I am also really having fun with my writing again! Hopefully my blog is a little more fun to read these days too.

      Thanks for supporting me even when it was a little dry and boring!

      God Bless, Kari

      Delete
  3. Kari,
    This story was priceless!!! Your baby is very precious, and I love it when you share her stories. I love all of your stories, the are always fun, and exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...